Kestrel Sportsman Ballistics Weather Meter
The Kestrel Sportsman Ballistics Weather Meter was made for the hunter or amateur long range shooter in mind. It contains same environmental data as all the 4500 models, and the option to open up in Ballistic mode with a G1/G7 ballistics calculator to instantly provide accurate targeting DOPE for shots within the Supersonic range of the bullet or approximately 800 yards. It stores up to 16 personalized gun/bullet combinations. The complete weather meter with built in recording also allows you to log the environmental conditions of your best hunts and identify animal behavior patterns using your specific captured data.
You have the optics, ammunition and gun - this meter helps take the guesswork out of your shot as well as aid you in practice of reading the mirage and recognizing environmental conditions that effect your shot.
- G1 - G7 Ballistics Coefficients
- Muzzle Velocity Calibration
- Applied Ballistics Gun Loader Software
- Built-in crosswind calculator and target range estimator
- All in one environmental meter and ballistic solver
- Rugged, Waterproof, Compact
- High precision, local environmental measurements for more accurate ballistics solution
- Up to the second calculations account for changes in wind, altitude, and temp
- Unlike balistically calibrated turrets, Sportsman is always accurate for all ammunition, at
all elevations, and in all conditions.
While the Sportsman will provide a ballistic solution for distances further than 800 yards, it it best suited for the supersonic ranges typically involved in long range hunting. For accuracy at extreme long range, the 4500 Applied Ballistic Meter includes even more variables and allows input of Bryan Litz’s library of custom drag curves in its solution, allowing for an even higher level of precision.
As you've likely read, the 4500 Applied Ballistic Meter contains the full Applied Ballistics solver for extreme long range accuracy and costs a couple hundred dollars more. This Sportsman has software by the same company, but the Sportsman calculations are limited. While it can still be used at long ranges, it will take more work on your part if you use it beyond that, as those custom curves are limited to the high end meter.
The Basic Kestrel Sportsman:
The Basic Sportsman meter does not have bluetooth, and does not come with a carry case.
You can enter you everything you need manually and do not need to download software. You can also use the meter in 'Weather Mode' and use it as a Kestrel 4500 to your environmental data.
The Sportsman Spotter Pack option:
Includes the 4500 Sportsman with Bluetooth, a vane mound and a large carry case. It can attach to your belt, but its not the Belt Clip or TYR Carry Case, as its big enough to hold the vane mount. We recommend one of these cases if you're not using the wind vane or you get the basic Sportsman.
The bluetooth has a couple advantages:
- Upload guns and ammo from your computer using the free Profile Loader software. This is very useful if you are swapping out more than the 16 gun/ammo combinations.
- You can also use it with the free Kestrel Companion app which acts like a viewer of the screen of the meter. This allows you to conveniently get up to the second wind and elevation calls without having to shift from your shooting position.You enter you latitude, your range, your gun, and ammo... you set the meter on a tripod with the Bluetooth on taking environmental data from where you want (within 30 feet), where you get your reading to your Android / Tablet sitting next to you where you're shooting from. (available for Android Only)
Kestrel Sportsman Ballistics Bluetooth Spotter Pack Features:
- Tripod-mountable vane mount to allow the unit to calculate hold information using real-time wind and weather data
- FREE Kestrel Companion App for remote viewing of your shooting solution from your shooting position
Bluetooth® Wireless Data Transfer to access to the most up-to-date firmware upgrades from shooting industry experts
- Protective, zippered carry pouch for compact, lightweight carrying
- Night-vision-preserving backlight
Kestrel Weather Meter Companion Application
What is the Kestrel Meter Companion App?
The Kestrel Companion app maximizes the capability of your Kestrel Sportsman by allowing it to directly measure the wind speed and direction, all while allowing for easy viewing of your shooting solution. The large display on your mobile device or tablet allows for a quick view of the elevation and windage holds, in addition to the current weather conditions and gun parameters. By placing the Kestrel Sportsman in wind-capture mode, your shooting solution will automatically update on the display with the measured wind values and wind direction.
NOTE: Currently our Bluetooth units are not MAC/Apple compatible.
Compare Kestrel Ballistics Weather Meters
Decide which Kestrel Ballistics Weather Meter is best for you.
Kestrel Sportsman Ballistics Weather Meter Features
- 2 AAA Lithium Batteries (Average Life 400 Hours)
- 5 Languages (English, French Spanish, German, Italian)
- Carry Pouch
- Clock & Calendar
- Customizable Data Storage
- Data Logger
- Data Upload (For Non-Spotter Pack Units this is only available with optional interface cradle)
- Drop-Tested, MIL-STD-810F
- Graph & Recall Trends
- Integrated Applied Ballistics Targeting Solution
- Minimum, Maximum and Average Values
- Neck Lanyard
- User-Replaceable Impeller
- Waterproof & Floats
- Zipper Carry Pouch (Spotter Pack Only)
- Wind Vane (Spotter Pack Only)
- Free Kestrel Companion App Download (Spotter Pack Only) NOTE: Currently our Bluetooth units are not MAC/Apple compatible.
- Bluetooth Wireless Data Transfer (Spotter Pack Only)
- Night-Vision-Preserving Backlight (Spotter Pack Only)
Kestrel Sportsman Ballistics Weather Meter Measures
- Barometric Pressure
- Density Altitude
- Dew Point
- Heat Stress Index
- Relative Humidity
- Wet Bulb Temperature
- Wind Chill
- Wind Direction
- Wind Speed
Who's Using the Kestrel Sportsman Ballistics Weather Meter?
Kestrel Sportsman Ballistics Weather Meter Videos
Kestrel Sportsman Ballistics Weather Meter Additional Information
*We ship every Kestrel 4000 Series Meter exclusively with Made in the USA Energizer® Brand Ultimate Lithium AAA batteries for improved reliability, capacity, cold-weather performance and weight. We strongly recommend that you use only Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in your Kestrel Meter. If you choose to install alkaline batteries, we recommend that you do NOT store your Kestrel with these batteries installed, and that you check your batteries for leakage and corrosion a minimum of every 30 days. Damage due to leaking alkaline batteries is not covered under warranty.